Jun 19, 2006

Curriculum Vitae and Some Stats

Today was my first day! Not really a first day day - it was first orientation day.

I am familiar with "First Work-Day" jitters, a subset of the larger heading of "Meeting New People" jitters. I was thinking this morning of all of the times I've started a new job. It has been a lot! I think this is a comprehensive list:

Olan Mills Telemarketer
Mailboxes, Etc.
Mervyns Associate
Cafeteria Worker
Intel pseudo-technician
Chem Lab Assistant
Assisted Living Assistant
Front Desk Receptionist/Supervisor
Arts & Crafts Summer School Teacher
Doctor's Office receptionist
Michael's Craft Store Associate
AmeriCorps Volunteer
Fruit Stand fruit-seller
Kaplan MCAT/LSAT teacher

Plus the jitters of many volunteer jobs, and, of course: new schools.

So. Jitters. Nothing new. But this morning, I realized that this is the first time that I am starting a job that is actually what I want to do!! This is huge! That feeling actually overwhelmed the jitters. But only for a little while.

There are twelve people in my intern class, including me. Two went to med school in New York (but are from California), one went to school in Denver (but was born in California), two went to UC Davis for med school, 6 went to other California schools (see a pattern here??). Only one other person is not from California - she is from Seattle.

Continuing with some stats:
2 guys, 10 girls
4 married
4 dating
4 single
1 with kids
None with dogs
1 with cat (me!)


Everyone seems very nice. But it is so hard to tell on the first day! We sat around having people talk to us, had a tour, a scavenger hunt, and tonight had a barbecue with all the peds residents.

It is hard to not look at everyone trying to figure out who will be my friends, and who will drive me crazy. No one stands out in either direction yet. But I'm sure there will be some of both!

Tomorrow looks like an extremely boring day of HR orientation stuff, but then on Wednesday, we get to go for a hike!

Wednesday is also the first day of summer.

And the first day they're predicting 100 degree weather.

1 comment:

Kris said...

How was the hike?