Sep 7, 2005

Still Sunday

I didn't realize that I would be writing quite so much about our trip. But then, we are really good at cramming a lot of activity into a small period of time. I find myself growing less witty as the week progresses and I get back into the swing of the hospital, though. Sad, I know. Yet I shall overcome! That doesn't, of course, mean that you have to keep reading. In fact... why are you? Shouldn't you be mopping or something? Playing with a boomerang?

If you choose to continue the adventures, read on. Just let me fix the time on my pager first (the battery died).... Okay. NOW read on.

We were last found in the Irish Hunger Memorial. I imagine it was supposed to be touching or thought provoking or something, but I was just not feeling it. There was a lot of grass, so I kept thinking... couldn't they have eaten grass? I'd have at least tried. Grass stew. Grass potatoes. Grass pudding... I bet there's a lot you can do with grass. So, yeah. It was nice and green, though.

We continued our way on to the Staten Isand Ferry, traveling along the Battery. It was a lot of walking, and I was hot and my feet hurt, but... it was hot in New York and my feet hurt with Dana and Aaron (and Susan!), so it was all good. There are a lot of things in Battery Park. We didn't really look at any of them (except to wonder what the pyramid was - turns out it is the Museum of Jewish Heritage. Huh. I didn't know they did pyramids. (actually, it is six-sided, like the Star of David. Duh.))

Walking and walking... There are a lot of dogs in New York. Big dogs, small dogs, costumed dogs... There was even a dog being carried around in one of those papoose-y things people generally carry babies in. Poor pup! For all the dogs, there is not much dog poo. Impressive. Interestingly, there are a lot of dogs in Athens (or there were before the Olympics were there), but they were strays. I saw nary a stray in NYC. Nary a stray. Nary. I like the word nary.

Finally, we did make it to the ferry. There were a lot of people there - a mix of tourists and 'real' people. We hopped on the ferry (actually, we walked, but I've grown tired of talking about walking) and had a quick jaunt over to Staten Island. We were met on the ferry by Aaron's little sister, Anna. (by design, not happenstance) I hadn't seen her since she was a wee child of 18 - now she's 23, I think. So weird how people keep growing.

When we got to Staten Island, we got on the ferry to Manhattan. Except that it was still called the "Staten Island" ferry, not the "Manhattan Island" one. We spent a total of... three minutes, maybe, in Staten Island. Anna bought some batteries there.

Are you seriously still reading this? Batteries! I'm not feeling terribly sparkly today, as I'm writing this within stone's throw of a patient who has been loudly moaning for... two days now.

So, post-ferry, I was in the mood for some coffee (when am I not? in fact... I am right now... mmm... coffee... break time!)

No comments: