Sep 19, 2005

Baby Showers and Bat Caves and Deans

Oh my!

Yesterday I attended (and co-hosted) my first ever baby shower! This is not my first friend to have a baby, but it is the first friend I've seen pregnant. Well. That's actually a lie, too, as I've been marginal friends with a couple people that I've seen pregnant, but now we're just getting into semantics.

That is my new favorite argument, by the way. The next time you find yourself arguing with someone (which I heard you do a lot, you smarmy monkey), don't end it by saying "Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree" or some such inflammatory nonsense. That particular statement annoys me SO much, that I actually feel my hackles raise. (rise?) It is a visceral annoyance. No. Much better is the statement, "Well, now we're just getting into semantics." That way, you're allowing each person to be correct in their own fashion without leaving a level of conflict behind. (It doesn't help that a peron who I never, ever got along with said "we'll just have to agree..." to me a lot. A lot.)

ANYway. First baby shower. Can't disagree with the semantics of that one. It was a lot of fun. At least, I had fun. I can't really speak for anyone else, but no one left in a huff or broke into tears, so that at least is a good sign, no? I'll try to post some pics of some of the games. Heh. Baby shower games can be funny.

For anyone who follows my life as obsessively I do, you may remember that today was my first day back at the hospital after what was pretty much a surprise week-long vacation. I doubted my ability to completely blow off an entire week doing only some yearbook things. Never shall I doubt myself again. Turns out that I am a very accomplished slacker when the opportunity presents itself.

I arrived at the hospital this morning before 8 am, marginally bright eyed and clumpy-tailed (Versus, you know, bushy tailed? Oh, shut up) I paged my attending, and I waited. And waited. And waited. During my waiting, several other fourth years - each waiting for someone else - came in and out of the Bat Cave (the third and fourth year student lounge area - aka Bat Cave, because We Are Batman.)

But then these guys broke into our secret Bat Lair because they wanted to paint. Pshaw. We're students! We don't need quality or health codes in our lounge!

We collectively decided to go invade the first and second years' student lounge (aka...student lounge - hey they're too busy studying to be clever) On my way out, I ran into my attending, who informed me that there are two procedures tomorrow and that he'll page me if something happens. I guess that is my job today then: wait to see if something happens.

Have you seen a trend for fourth year? Cause I certainly have: Wait. Everyone said fourth year was easy, but I thought they meant it was because we were smarter. I didn't realize it was because no one makes us do anything!

I only stuck around school for the promise of some amusement and a free lunch at the "Town Hall" meeting with the school's deans. They do this twice a year - the deans put themselves on the chopping block and let the students ask them whatever they want to about school policy or finances or curriculum or whatever. There are reliably two questions asked: why can't we use the gym at the undergrad, and some sort of complaint about curriculum. As a senior student, I know how little these things matter in the brief time that we are here, so it is funny to see the youngsters get all inflamed. Today was actually kind of boring, though. I guess we're all marginally satisfied for once.

Now, I guess I go wait some more. This time, I shall be waiting at home, though. And possibly watching some more Lord of the Rings.

No comments: