Sep 26, 2005

Make Checks Payable to...

...the Save Brenna's Teeth Fund

I went to the dentist today. I'm not really a fan of the dentist. Not really. As a child, I'd do my bi-yearly duty and go to the dentist for my cleanings. I don't recall ever being terrified (my mom would have to verify that for me), but I DO remember exactly what the dentist's offices looked like. Including the one I went to in Minnesota in first and second grade. And I don't have the best memory from when I was that young. (In my memory, I don't really exist until about fifth grade and the advent of abstract thinking).

Actually, all I really remember about that dentist of yore was a really tall staircase on the outside of a brick building. It may have been tan brick.

The point of that memory is, that it was memorable enough for me to... well, remember. Meaning that it made an impression on me. Leading me to think that, despite my relative calm, I have never actually enjoyed going to the dentist, and, in fact, think it somewhat scary. And painful.

This realization hit me today as I noticed that I was white-knuckling it in the chair as I got my teeth cleaned. My fingers were sore from clenching them so hard!

And, yeah. I have five cavities that need to be filled.

I guess better now than waiting until I need a root canal again. That wasn't fun either. I knew that I was on the verge of some cavities - eleven, to be exact, based on last visit's estimation, which came with the encouragement to floss 'more' (more being relative when you floss...oh, once a month). I guess I did okay in that I only need 5 and not... 10 or something. I did start using mouthwash.

To celebrate the news, I went and donated blood. There, I was told that I have an irregular heartbeat (I had just chugged some Starbucks, though, so that didn't worry me) and just barely squeaked by on the 'iron' test. She actually checked it three times before I passed. And even then, just barely.

Now I feel a bit woozy, though... Oops. I guess they check our hematocrit for a reason!

Alright. I'm off to brainstorm on ways to raise some tooth-fund money. I am reviewing a book for Blackwell (for $100) and am participating in a yard sale this weekend, which will help. Unfortunately, I can't sell my blood now!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Where do I send my check? I was going to send more money to the Red Cross but "save Brenna's teeth" seems even MORE important!