Sep 7, 2005

Still Sunday, Some More

Mmm. Coffee. My quest to get coffee today was much more successful than Sunday's. We got of the ferry and wandered back into the financial district. Apparently, things are closed in that particular district on Sundays. INCLUDING Starbuck's. I about had a heart attack right there.

It was starting to get latish - meaning late enough that we had to acknowledge that we would need to start thinking about getting back to Grand Central Station so that Aaron and Dana could make it home. It was determined that we should go to Greenwich Village and find some dinner. Again, I'm not really sure how that decision was made. Though, I think at that point I was thinking more about my aching feet than Aaron or Dana (sorry guys!).

Back on the Subway. I feel so cosmopolitan travelling on subways. No, actually, that's not true. I feel... city-like. I feel cosmopolitan taking a cab. Or while... drinking a... Cosmopolitan.

So, yeah, we ended up on Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village. I tried to channel Jack Kerouac or Allen Ginsberg, but then a car honked or something and I lost my concentration, so I decided to channel my stomach and find a restaurant. (I did Howl a bit though... in my head)

We ended up eating dinner at Lemongrass Grill more out of convenience (Hey look! There's a restuarant) than anything else. It was quite good, though, AND I was able to satisfy my little (aka BIG) coffee craving with some delicioso Thai Coffee - so thick, it sticks to your spoon! - sweetened with, of all things, condensed milk!

After dinner, we wandered around Bleecker and MacDougal Streets for a while, just chatting away. It is funny how many areas of New York remind me of other areas of the country that I've been to. This particular area made me think of Atlanta for some reason. Nothing in particular... it just felt similar.

Eventually, we headed back over to Soho so that Dana could pick up her luggage from her friend's apartment (she had come into town the day before). I felt pretty cool being in an actual New York apartment. I was too scared to ask what the rent was. The apartment itself was probably about the size of mine, but a two-bedroom whereas mine is called an... efficiency, I think (because the stove is small).

Things were winding down, which was probably good, as I think we were all pretty tired. We headed back to Grand Central Station. The food court was all closed there - I am always shocked when I find something closed in New York. Apparently in my head, they are ALWAYS OPEN. Everything. All of New York should be open all the time. But they're not.

There was some sort of Brazilian street fair going on in Times Square that day, and there were tons of Brazilian people wandering around Grand Central Station. I knew they were Brazilian because of their bright green and yellow shirts. I want to say something funny here, but... it just isn't coming today.

In the end, I did have to let Aaron and Dana onto their train. I thought about staying on the platform and running after the train waving a handkerchief or something. But I didn't have a handkerchief. And I had to go look for Platform 9 and 3/4 (I couldn't find it).

By this time, Susan and I were almost too tired to function. Well, at least I was. And I can read Susan's mind, so... (not really, Susan - stop thinking that!) We decided to get some snacks and get an in-room movie. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped by a shop that had an internet connection (where I started writing about the adventures!) There was an issue with Susan's connection, and something in me snapped - I attribute it to exhaustion and just being in New York - and I actually yelled at the poor man. Now, listen people, I get frustrated, but I simmer and occasionally boil over and take it out on my family and friends. But I don't yell. Except, apparently, in New York. I was so energized by the yelling, that I spent the rest of the walk back to the hotel cutting off all the Brazilian people I could find (a lot).

Back at the hotel, Susan and I watched "A Lot Like Love" and then went to sleep.

Phew, that was a lot of writing. But now, there is only Monday left. I really can't imagine that anyone but Susan (and perhaps my mother) has actually read everything. You'd better, though, because the next time I see you, I will quiz you. Be prepared!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Heeeeey! I read your stupid...I mean...great blog too, you know!!! Even though the font became super small for some reason!

Kris said...

Yes, your mother reads it and yes it's super small.

Gretchen said...

And your good, loyal friend Gretchen read every last small text word too.