Aug 9, 2005

Survival of the Fittest?

I know I've blogged about PMS in the past, but... when you find a good topic, stick to it...

There are many lists of PMS symptoms out there, but none of them mention things like: back pimples. Or paranoia (that's Susan's) or over-analyzing everything (that's mine). I knew I was PMS-y today, when I had cake batter for dinner. Yes, cake batter. Pink cake batter to be specific. (and it was good. E. coli be darned!)

That's all beside the point, though. The point being that I have a theory as to why females that live/work in close proximity tend to cycle together. This phenomenon is known in research circles as 'menstrual synchrony' (look at me pretending to be involved in 'research circles!' haha!) There are some theories that it was an evolutionary development to prevent packs of wild animals from detecting bleeding females all the time so they'd only have to be prepared for attack, oh say 20-24 days a month. (huh?!? Caveman: "Uh-oh, women bleed, get sharp stick! Ugg!")

I have a new theory - also involving evolution. It is this: females living/working in close proximity need to be PMSing at the same time. That way we can all retreat to our paranoid/over-analyzing/teary corners, poke at our back pimples and eat cake batter at the same time. If we weren't PMSing at the same time, one PMSer could easily take out a few chipper girls in one bad day.

I think my theory is sound. Perhaps I will write it up for publication?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. so true and so funny!

alisa :)