Aug 15, 2005

Paint by Numbers: A Life

I finally got my board scores today (yay!) and while I'm not displeased with the results, I am struck anew how much importance people place on all these 'numbers' in our lives: IQ, salary, weight, GPA, test scores, class rank, etc. As if they define us. And yet, we all hide them, as if people will judge us. "NO! I can't tell you what I got - it will make me stupid or possibly arrogant!" Well, as we all know (or at least strongly suspect) I am both stupid(ish) and arrogant. So why not bare all. An existential streaking, if you will.

Here, then, is my life, in numbers:

SAT Verbal - 770
SAT Math - 740
HS GPA - 3.98
MCAT Biological Sciences - 9
MCAT Verbal - 11
MCAT Physical Sciences - 11
MCAT writing - can't remember...
College GPA - 3.85
USMLE Step 1 - 215
Med School Class Rank (years 1-2) - 46 of 104
USMLE Step 2 205
Med School Class Rank (year 3) - 71 of 98
Salary - yeah, right
Weight - yeah, right (okay, so one number still makes me cringe)

There you go. Feel like you know my any better? Didn't think so.

Some numbers that really matter:
2 - number of sisters I have
2 - number of parents I have
Innumerate - number of friends I have
2 - number of working eyes I have (or four depending on your maturity level)
About 30 - number of times I laughed today
Infinite - my possibilities (gag me! how cheesy!)

Now I'm off to get my 5-6 hours of sleep!

No comments: