Nov 13, 2005

I Live!

So, it seems that every time I come home to Oregon, I tend to go into temporary hiding. I don't know what exactly I am hiding from, but Oregon seems to be a good place to do it. Seeing as I'm going to be here through Christmas, I figured I should force myself out of my seclusion, otherwise people may think I've disappeared for good. Not true!

How about some brief updates? Sounds good to me!

Well, I've had two interviews now. Also, I've had two rejections. Fortunately, the rejections don't match up to the interviews! That is one nice thing about the match process - we don't necessarily get outright rejected. Except for Seattle. Darn Seattle. And San Diego. Which is funny, but I'm not going to bother going there, except to say that I've learned enough since I applied to San Diego to know that I wouldn't have interviewed there even if they'd invited me!

My first interview was at my home school. Good program, great people, horrible city. I just don't think I can stay there. Being away is so good for my soul. My second interview was at Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. I applied mostly just because I like Charleston. And I interviewed mostly because I was going to be there with my sister anyway. Several residents I'd talked to in the days before my first interviews had said they didn't like MUSC's hospital at all. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling terribly enthusiastic about the program before I interviewed there. But I really liked it! I can already tell that making a rank list is going to be very, very hard for me.

My next interview will be this coming Friday in New York City. Yes, I have this month off for interviews, and yes I came home to be closer to my "West Coast interviews" and yes, I am turning around to fly to NY a mere week after I came home. Deal with it.

By the way, "West Coast interviews" is in quotes because they are pretty much non-existent at this point.

I did send a "Please pick me!" begging e-mail to OHSU though. We'll see if it has any effect.

Did I mention that I came home a week earlier than my mom expected to surprise her for her birthday? 'Twas much fun. She was totally astounded. Definitely astounded.

In the interim from the last time I was home, my parents moved from our old house to the new farm! How exciting. I'll tell you all about it later. I may even post pictures.

I am going to go to bed now. Because I have to get up early. To go to the dentist. Because I might need a root canal. Yes, you heard me: Root. Canal. I hate teeth.

Oh, and PS. Pride and Prejudice is worth seeing, but after the scene where Lizzie convinces her dad that she really does like Darcy, do yourself a favor and close your eyes, plug your ears and go "la-la-la" for the next few minutes. Or just go see the movie in England or Australia where they are kind enough to save you the trouble of enduring the last scene, which RUINS the ENTIRE movie. If you're smart enough to do that, and you happen to be in my neck of the woods, my sisters and I will re-create the scene for you. I know CPR.

No comments: