Jul 28, 2005

Boredom Reigns

There is no peds neuro clinic on Thursdays. My first reaction was "Yay! Free day!" But now... I'm bored. Sigh... So bored. I'm waiting for the attending (who is a fantastic and wonderful person - I'm not actually complaining about him) to decide to round on our one patient. I know that if I go home - where I can always find ways to entertain myself - I will be immediately paged back here. So, I've just been wandering around since 9:30 this morning. I've run out of things to do.

I must admit, it is kind of fun to just meander around the hospital. I keep running into fellow fourth year students, and we'll stand and chit-chat for a while (I'm up to ten chit-chats already today) and then continue on. Meandering.

The most interesting thing I've learned today is that the national Human Genome Research Institute has announced that it will sequence the genome of the bushbaby. The bushbaby? Seriously? They announced 12 other animals that they're going to sequence, as well, but I really can't get the image of a bunch of dorky researchers sitting around in a conference room going "Dude! We totally need to sequence the bushbaby!" And then breaking out into riotous laughter. Because that's the kind of thing that dorky researchers do.

Or perhaps they're trying to figure out the gene sequence that leads to those huge freaking bushbaby eyes in an attempt to bring those Japanese anime characters to life.

No comments: