Mar 29, 2004

Vows of Silence

I think I can remember every word I've spoken out loud today. As long as you don't count the random mumbling I do to myself as I do practice test questions - who knows what I say at those times! It really is amazing how isolated one can be - even while out doing things. I had breakfast at Panera, coffee at Starbucks, went to the Y for yoga, and then to Qdoba for dinner. Beyond placing my orders and saying 'namaste' at the end of yoga - I don't think I've said ANYthing else. If you've never met me, you wouldn't realize what a large statement this is. I talk. I talk a lot. In my sleep, during movies, during church, at the dentist... I'm just amazed that I could and did make it through a day without saying many words.

I've actually thought it would be a fun challenge for myself - to see if I could go a whole day without talking. I never thought I could, but I've got a renewed faith in myself now. Down with talking!!!

I always used to challenge myself to do things when I was a kid. I'd decide to be blind and go everywhere in the house with my eyes closed. Another of my favorites was to pretend I didn't have knees. (I'm really quite adept at getting up and down stairs without bending my knees as a result!) Or I would sing everything, and it would have to rhyme. Odd behavior? Perhaps. Fun? Definitely. I recommend that you all try it: close your eyes and straighten those legs and go have fun!

No comments: