Apr 8, 2010

Knit Together

When I first announced my engagement, one of the earliest replies I got back from a friend was "I can't wait to see how you incorporate knitting!"

See, if you'll remember back to my previous blog life (as a medical student) you may remember how much I love yarn. I love it a lot. When I moved in with Marc, I had to cut my yarn collection down by about half so that I didn't look like a total yarn-freak (only half a freak here, people). It took me several hours to cull through the collection, and pull out what was absolutely essential and what I could part with.

And with the yarn that I love, I love, love, love to crochet and to knit.

I've made tons of blankets (mostly crocheted):
The one on the right was my first Christmas present for Marc. Blanket = less freaky than sweater from new girlfriend.

I've made innumerable scarves:
A few of the louder ones here, with the "Knitting is Knotty" pin from my sister.

But my favorite lately has been making toys!
Here's a posse of misfits hangin' on my couch.

I like knitting toys because it is a relatively quick project, and much cuter than hand-knit tea cozies and such.

Knitting has obviously gained in popularity over the last ten years or so. I initially learned how to crochet from my mom in 1999 while I recuperated from having my wisdom teeth out. At that time it was just starting to become socially acceptable for the younger generation to do. I would do a lot of Google searches to find patterns that weren't too dowdy or crazy, and was able to find enough to keep myself busy.

Then came Ravelry. Ahh, Ravelry, how I heart thee. This is a site where people like me (yarn lovers) come together and share their projects and their patterns. And, let me tell you: in the eleven years since I started crocheting, this art form has come a long way into the twenty-first century!

Aren't these scrumptious? I love the Marie Antoinette doll!

So, how to incorporate knitting into my wedding? I don't know yet.

Make knit toys as favors?
Knit flowers?
Knit a bolero (like the one top right in the pictures above)?
Crochet lace for around the bouquets?

I'm still pondering my options right now. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

David and Ari said...

annabelle has stolen that pink and white blanket from her sister and uses it almost every day. . .