Apr 5, 2010

Food For Thought

I'm going to steer a bit away from wedding planning for a second - though I'll tie it in at the end, I promise.

To make my commute to work more interesting, I've started listening to books on tape. Hmm. "Books on tape" sounds dated these days, but "books on CD" just sounds funny. Buying these puppies new is crazy expensive, especially since I go through 1 or 2 a month. I thought about joining www.audible.com but again, I didn't want to pay $15 a month when I'm already paying for my satellite radio. Then I re-discovered a favorite haunt of old: the library! I haven't been a regular patron of a library in years, and felt great to re-enter the world of free book-borrowing. Anyway, I digress. The point I'm trying to make with this (extensive) paragraph: the books on tape at the library have been well used. I've had to return several without getting very far into the story because of all of the skipping. Sad Brenna.

I discovered that the heavier, more depressing books are less scratched. I figure either fewer people check them out, or that the people who do get so depressed that they don't have the energy to toss the CDs around like they do with lighter fare. This is how I've ended up listening to The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, The Art of Racing in the Rain and, most recently, A Thousand Splendid Suns. All of these books have turned me into a sobbing mess on the highway - I am sure more than one passing car has wondered what was wrong with the poor soul in the green Camry.

A Thousand Splendid Suns particularly touched me - in a gut wrenching, heart tearing, want-to-put-my-hands-over-my-ears-and-say-make-it-stop-make-it-stop way. I had not read Khaled Hosseini's first book, The Kite Runner (nor have I seen the movie) so I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into.

The story is that of two Afghan women, one born in 1959 (I think) and the other in 1978 (like me!). Their lives are completely shaped and led by the political goings on in Afghanistan - the invasion of the Soviets, their ousting, warring local factions, the entrance of the Taliban, and finally the US military presence. I must admit that I was completely ignorant about most of this. And while I found the story very good as well as tear-jerking, it was the bigger picture that really tore me up. The society went from being fairly open, to more and more restrictive and punitive - no art, no movies, no books, no dancing, singing, laughing, etc.

It really makes me appreciate all that I have here. I am free to choose my own husband (though at one point in my life I wouldn't have minded someone taking care of that for me!). I am free to work, to wear what I want to, to have my head uncovered - even on a bad hair day. I am free to find fault with Marc, and to tell him he is being stupid if I think he is being stupid. I can read, and laugh and dance (not well) and sing (even worse) and create all manner of projects - art or not - for my wedding. And I'm free to write about it all here. And you're free to read it or not.

Anyway. I debated about writing about it here, since this feels more like a book report than a wedding blog. But, the thoughts kept floating around in my head, so there you go!

And, as I promised: the tie into wedding planning. There is a wedding scene in the book! Isn't it funny how wedding stuff shows up everywhere once you're engaged? I was very intrigued by the scene - so completely different than a 'Western' wedding. I ended up looking up Afghan weddings and learning a bit about their traditions. I find it very interesting. A part that I think is really touching is where the bride and groom are covered with a shawl, and then get a mirror to look at each others' faces - presumably for the first time, if it is a truly arranged marriage. Can you imagine that? The nerves, the excitement, the hope as you gaze on your spouse's face for the first time ever?

I tried to find some Youtube videos of Afghan weddings, and there are many posted, but the comments are all filled with so much vitriol and hatred, that I can't stomach posting the links here. Instead, here is a painting by Corinne Yazbeck of an Afghan wedding ceremony:



Thanks for taking my little detour with me. We will now return to regularly scheduled wedding planning!

No comments: