Oct 28, 2005

Wikipedia Friday

Last Friday, I decided to institute "Wikipedia Friday"* on my blog. Here is installment numero two.

*"Wikipedia Friday": where I go on to Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia!) click the "Random Article" link, and then comment on the resulting topic here on my blog.

Today's topic: "Dorotea Municipality."

What I learned: Well, I can honestly say that my knowledge of Dorotea Municipality was pretty much non-existent before this afternoon. Turns out that it is a municipality in Sweden. And one of the least populated municipalities in Sweden to boot! About half the population of Dorotea Municipality live in the town of... you guessed it... Dorotea. It was named after Queen Frederica Dorotea Wilhelmina of Sweden. (inspiring me to question why Dorotea and not Frederica?)

Personal anecdote involving "Dorotea Municipality": This one time, I don't remember when, I went to the official website of the Dorotea Municipality, but I couldn't understand anything that was written there. Because it was all in Swedish. Actually, you know what? That was today.

Thoughts on Wikipedia's "Dorotea Municipality" article: While it is nice to see one of the least populated municipalities of Sweden represented in Wikipedia, I am a little distraught at the lack of depth of information. Most of the article is devoted to talking about a church that was built, burned down, and then built again. I feel the people of Dorotea deserve a more fleshed out description of their home.

No comments: