Oct 21, 2005

Don't Forget to Remember

I'm fairly certain that most students at small liberal arts colleges (like my own alma mater) have (or will( at some point, referred to their campus as a 'bubble.' As in "College" is such a bubble. Good explanation, no? Actually, what people seem to generally be referring to is the complete and total lack of awareness of what is going on in the outside world. It was true at St. Olaf, as I'm sure it is true at other colleges and universities.

As it is true in medical school as well.

Which makes me think - do I carry my bubble around with me? Perhaps I am living in my own little Brenna-bubble that only lets in certain information, while being completely and totally oblivious to other things.

For instance - things the bubble lets in: 1. Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn making out. 2. Hurricanes 3. Residency applications - specifically who in my class is applying to what field/programs. 4. Chocolate and coffee.

Things the bubble deflects: (beyond the general category of 'everything else'): Earthquakes. Did you KNOW that there was a gigantic earthquake in Pakistan? I kind of sort of did. I remember hearing about it at some point. But did you know that over 51,000 people are dead? That's a lot of people. A big ol' "disturbance in the force."

But... somehow that did not penetrate my little bubble until this very moment. I feel kind of ashamed. At the same time, though... I need to focus on school and applications, etc. so that I can hopefully someday provide some actual, tangible help instead of a piddly donation. So maybe the bubble is a good thing? Probably not, but I guess that's just the way it is going to be for the time being. I'll just try to turn down the deflection shield a little bit at a time.

No comments: