Oct 27, 2005

Notes From Peds ID

I don't think I ever posted anything about the new rotation I'm on. See how low key fourth year is? I cannot believe how the stress level relating to school plummeted! I think I don't notice it so much, because the stress level for residency applications is all-consuming. Sigh.

Anyway. It crossed my mind this morning, as we rounded on our one patient, that perhaps the cruelest thing you can to do an 11 year old boy is to wake him up at 9:30, rip his sheets off and do a physical exam. The adolescent male inside me (who knew I had an adolescent male in there, too???) dies a thousand deaths for him. The adolescent girl in me (aka the source of most of my actions) kind of does an evil little laugh.

I decided to do the Peds ID rotation not as a way to torture young boys, but rather to painfully expose and hopefully treat my serious lack of infectious disease knowledge. And it is working! I love this rotation. The attendings are so fantastic, especially the one we've had on service this month. I have not only learned a lot, I have also learned that I knew more than I thought I did! Fantastic.

Actually, a secondary reason for me doing this rotation was that one of the Peds ID faculty people was one of my interviewers back in ought-two when I was applying here. I thought it would be cool to actually work with him. He comes on to service next Tuesday. AND, next Friday, incidentally, is my Residency interview here. There is some sort of synchronisity going on there with this attending and interviews. I like it.

No comments: