Oct 3, 2005

Things That Make Life Worth Living

If you've noted the title of my blog, you might be aware of my appreciation for words - big or otherwise. (There is also the reference to medical school intended in the title, as well - the 'big words' of medical academia... like armamentarium, or gastroenterology or... polyhydramnios)

Well, we are at that special time of year again when Webster's dictionary announces the new words that they are going to add to the dictionary. I'm always fascinated to see what makes the cut. Apparently it takes about ten years for a word or phrase to actually make it in. I guess they need to make sure the word has staying power. Which explains why 'bikini wax' is just now making it in. And 'hospitalist' and (joy of joys) 'chick flick.'

It does not explain how I have made it through my life without ever hearing the phrase amuse-bouche (noun): a small complimentary appetizer offered at some restaurants. Or, my new favorite - retronym (noun): a term consisting of a noun and a modifier which specifies the original meaning of the noun. ("Film camera," for instance).

Mmmm. Isn't it great?

I will say that Webster's is way behind Wikipedia in sheer volume of new concepts and words and, well, just everything. But still, Webster's is an institution. And, I don't see Wikipedia putting anything out in print form! Egads!, that would be hu-normous!

1 comment:

Kris said...

I just heard of "hospitalist" for the first time a few months ago and I had to ask what it was. It's hard to believe it's been around for 10 years....maybe we're just way behind the times out here in the NW!