Sep 20, 2004

Keith Says:

My most recent comment:

keith said...
"If a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, then your blog is choking me with my own dirty entrails. I can smell my appendix."

I must admit that I'm perplexed. Let's analyze:

"If a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" Okay. Obvious reference to Mary Poppins, as portrayed by the lovely Julie Andrews. In the movie, the spoonful of sugar helps the poor, belabored rich kids complete the magical task of watching their room clean itself. If actually applied to real life, we're supposed to believe that something good, or sweet, will help a bad task be more bearable. If one accepts that making medicine go down is a bad thing, that is. (which I don't necessarily - hello!: cramps and Motrin)

"...then your blog is choking me with my own dirty entrails." I'm imagining at this point that this is not meant to be a compliment. The use of the word 'entrails' rarely suggests warm fuzzies. ('Oh, Linda, your entrails are so...sexy' is not a phrase heard often) Much less 'dirty entrails.'

This is where my confusion starts. Is the fact that he's choking meant to indicate that my blog lacks 'sugar,' or, taken to its extreme - anything good at all? OR - now, follow me here - is the fact that he's reached his entrails with his choking mean that there is, actually, TOO much sweetness, causing the 'medicine' to go down at much too rapid a pace? But, in this second case, what is the medicine in question? AND how did his entrails get dirty in the first place? Last time I checked, my entrails were still...well...in. The actual entrails themselves being, admittedly, slimy, are not actually dirty. Now, what's inside the entrail - the en-entrail, if you will - now, that is dirty.

Now, beyond this, my mind breaks off onto entirely disparate avenues. For instance, was the use of 'medicine' in the metaphor chosen specifically because of my professional aspirations, or was it merely coincidence? Did you intend to get the freaking song stuck in my head as some sort of revenge for forcing you to read my blog? How did you come to feel forced to read my blog in the first place? Where can I get an umbrella that makes me fly?

And, Keith, I have one last question for you: What does your appendix smell like?

Thanks for the laugh, and please do explain if you find yourself in such a torturous position as to be here, on my page (intended for me and my friends) again.

No comments: