May 24, 2005

Cardiac Risk Factors

::Warning! Warning!!:: HIPPA Violation coming! Beware!

So, not being a very patient patient, I went ahead and looked up the results of my lipid profile. We're technically not supposed to. Which makes no sense, in my opinion. They ARE my results, after all. Why should I have to call someone to tell me what I can just find myself. I don't want to waste my cell phone minutes, after all.

I'm sure you are all dying to know what they are, right? Well, I know at least you are, Mom. Here you go:

CHOLESTEROL (LL) 174 (normal: 0-200)
TRIGLYCERIDE (LL) 109 (normal: 0-140)
HDL-CHOLESTEROL 56 (normal: 30-90)
LDL-CHOLESTEROL 96 (normal: 0-130)
CHOL/HDL 3.1 L (normal: 3.4-5.0)
VLDL-CALCULATE 22 (normal: 5-40)


Here's the problem, though... I am not quite certain what they mean. If I saw these numbers in a patient that I was seeing, I'd be like - "Hey! That's great!" But we don't tend to see lipid profiles in 26 year olds terribly often. Is 174 too high for me? Hmm. Oh, well. It looks good now, and that's all I care about! If I get it checked every year or so, I'll know, right? Of course, that would require going to the doc every year...

No comments: