Feb 23, 2005

Stamping Out Disease!

Putting aside for the moment that I am currently tired, hungry and bored and that no one seems to be feeling the compulsion to send me home (I need to study!!) becauss the upper level left and the intern here is... less than confident, I have had a pretty amazing day.

Not in the everything-I-touch-turns-to-gold-I-can-do-no-wrong-and-here's-my-winning-lottery-ticket way, but in the gee-that's-just-pretty-dang-freaking-cool-and-I-got-to-be-a-part-of-it way. [editorial note: typing with a lot of dashes instead of spaces is really hard]

A two year old presented to his peds office yesterday because he'd been bruising all over. He was sent to the heme/onc clinic here for work up. What is the most likely diagnosis with easy bruising (and oh yeah, toss in some petechiae and an enlarged spleen and low white blood cell count) All the little children say: Leukemia!

So, two year old (whose mother, by the way just had a baby a few months ago and is supposed to go back to work tomorrow) is admitted to the heme/onc service for a bone marrow aspirate. I, eager-beaver of a med student that I am, tagged along.

In the bone marrow aspirate, they start an IV and knock the little kiddie out, then

HA! I was sent home. I'll finish the story later.

BAM.

No comments: