Jul 23, 2004

Another Night On Call!!!

Yippee!!!  This time, I'm in psych.  It has been a relatively quiet night for psych.  (As an interesting aside, I keep typing "psycho" instead of "psych."  Freudian connotations anyone?) 

My thoughts on psych so far: very, very different than medicine.  My fellow partner-in-crime (i.e. the other student on consults with me) pointed out this morning that the residents on psych have a personality.  Not that the medicine residents don't, per se.  It's just that they're so... stressed out most of the time, that they turn a bit robo-tronic.  And I did not meet a single medicine intern in June (their last month of internship) who did not claim to be at the most cynical point of their entire life.  Medicine just does that to you. 

Not psychiatry, apparently.  I have actually laughed - guffawed even - every day on psych so far.  Everyone is basically pretty chill (well, okay, except one resident who is wound up really, really tight and talksreallyreallyfastsothatyoucanbarelyunderstandwhatsheissaying.  She smokes.)

And the patients are different, too.  We do see patients admitted to the medicine floors, since we are the Consult Team (remember the capes!)  But the intereactions are different.  No stethescopes, no 'where does it hurt.'  We get to hear a lot of stories.  I thought I'd heard some good stories on medicine, but these stories I've heard lately are much more... interesting, I guess.  More hardships and craziness that people have gone through.    And all you have to do is say, "Hi, I'm so-and-so from psych" and they either 1. spill their guts or 2. claim they don't need psych and then proceed to spill their guts.  Except for the one guy this morning who seemed convinced that Satan had sent us, and promptly tried to save us through Jesus Christ.  But he was the exception. 

I love the stories that I get to hear.

That all said and done, though... I am not a fan of psychiatry as a career choice.  Yes, they're laid back and yes, the stories are great.  But after you get that story, it is all med management.  That's ALL it is.  "How is that Xanax working for you, Mr. Anxious?"; "Are you able to sleep better with the Trazodone, Ms. Manic?"  Gack.  Me and medications do not mix in the first place, but then to have a specialty where that is really all that you do.  Nope.  Not for me. 

But I'll have fun for the remaining three weeks that I'm here!

Perhaps this is the consult team:
CWINDOWSDesktopPowerRangeres.jpg
Power Rangers Movie!

What movie Do you Belong in?(many different outcomes!)
brought to you by Quizilla

No comments: