Oct 24, 2005

I AM the Coolest Person You Know

Remember how I took a spinning class a while back? Ooh - in fact, here is a picture so you can remember:


Well. I did really enjoy the spinning and even toyed around with the idea of purchasing a wheel on eBay. The cost is a tad bit out of my price range for now, but it is on the list of "Things Brenna Wants to Buy Someday." It fits somewhere after 'digital piano' and somewhere before 'the collective works of Dostoevsky.'

My friend who took the class with me, however, has been swept away in a spinning fury! She has joined a spinning circle and is borrowing a wheel from a fellow teacher to keep practicing. She is actively searching for a good deal on a wheel - and she convinced me to go to the Southeast Animal Fiber Fair yesterday.

That's right: Animal Fiber Fair.

And you know what? It was the most fun I've had since... the Dixie County Classic Fair! I think the Farm-Girl blood in me is making more of an appearance in me lately - there was a reason all my ancestors settled in the Midwest.

Heather and I drove two-plus hours to Asheville, NC to attend this animal fiber fair. I didn't really know what to expect... Here are some pictures so you know what to expect in the event you find yourself at a similar event some day:


Obviously, the first thing you need are tickets to the Agricultural Center. Obviously.


Here is Heather at the entrance to the Fair. It was in a stadium-type thing. There were two tiers of vendors selling things from roving (what you use to spin yarn from) to spinning wheels to spun yarn to yarn dye. There were even angora rabbits for sale inside, and sheep, goats and alpaca in the outside buildings.


One thing I certainly did not expect to see was all the men at the spinning wheels. There were probably about 20 people there just sittin' and spinnin'. Plus countless others at their booths working on a knit or crochet project. There were also felters and weavers and hookers and dyers. Everything that you could do with animal fiber was being done.


Since I'm not currently in the market for a wheel, I focused mainly on the yarn. The pretty, pretty, pretty yarn. So much yarn. So pretty. I did really well, though - I only bought enough yarn for two projects. I wanted so much more.


My favorite yarn was at this lady's booth - Brooks Farm. I wanted to buy absolutely everything she had. But I didn't - I only bought one, though I thought my head would explode from trying to choose just one color of the wool/silk blend. Ahhh.... so pretty. The lady who sells the yarn is married to the great-nephew of the man who designed the Buffalo-head nickel. No, they don't use that as a selling point.


After glutting ourselves with yarn, Heather and I made it out to the barns to visit some animals. We were admiring these alpaca when their owner came up and brought one out for us to feel the wool. Nifty! Alpaca wool yarn is SO cool and soft.

So, that was our day at the Animal Fiber Fair. Heather and I looked and looked, but saw few (if any) other people in our age range. We're the new trendsetters, though - I'm telling you. All the stars are knitting now, right? I bet you that it is just a matter of time before you see Julia Roberts manning a spinning wheel or Madonna dragging little Lourdes around an Animal Fiber Fair.

You heard it here first!

1 comment:

Kris said...

I'm worried if we get alpacas out here you might sneak out in the middle of the night to shear them!