Aug 30, 2004

Life in a well wouldn't be so bad...

Ack. So, today was the much dreaded First Day of Surgery. Apparently, there are only 38 more mornings left. I did not count the mornings - it was one of my fellow non-surgeons-in-the-making. See? We all were dreading surgery rotation.

What's my verdict? Well. It has only been one (long) day so far. So, I guess I can't give a really thorough judgment yet.

I'm on the vascular surgery service. You know: arteries and aortas and veins and stuff like that. I was told by both interns (completely independently of one another, without my asking) that the attending I have 'likes to ask questions.' That is their diplomatic way of saying 'pimps the heck out of ya.' I haven't experienced it yet, but I guess it is better to be prepared. There are two other (good, nice, happy) students in vascular right now, so at least I have some partners in crime.

I scrubbed in for the first time today!!!! That was definitely exciting. It involves scrubbing every possible surface of your arm (up to two inches above the elbow) until the skin falls off. Longer on the fingers. Then you use your butt to open the door, do a little magic towel dance to dry your hands, let the nurse put on your bathrobe (backwards), then cram your hands into some gloves. That's what you do when someone is helping you anyway. You get to add the magic gown AND magic glove dance when you're doing it on your own. But I had really nice nurses today.

The case I scrubbed in for, I was late to, so it ended 5 minutes (literally) after I was done scrubbing. Actually, I was on time, but the case was early. My brain is not yet hooked up to the ESP line for surgical services. I think we get that Week 3.

I joined my other 3rd year students for another case. Nicole scrubbed in and Charlene and I watched. It was interesting. At least, I think it was. I couldn't see much. They cut holes, and then play with arteries and veins in the holes. It's what I imagine it was like for the new firemen when they were watching the more experienced ones get that little girl who fell in the well out. Of the well. Into which she had fallen.

Remember the little girl in the well??? Okay, I just Google'd it. It was 17 years ago. SEVENTEEN!!! And I remember it! HOW am I old enough to remember things on the news from SEVENTEEN years ago?!!? That doesn't seem right. Egads. Call the frickin' coroner, and get me a casket of pine. Or maybe glass. Like Snow White, but blonde. You can skip the dwarfs, though. But definitely serve apples.

Okay...a bit punchy am I. I need sustenance. And sleep. Gotta be here at 5ish tomorrow. Better than some services, but not nearly so good as psych.

This weekend is Labor Day Weekend. I shall write about the cruise then.

No comments: