Aug 31, 2006

Boffo!

I'm going to bring back the word "Boffo." (Was it ever really a word?) You know, as in "You passed the test? Boffo!" Or, "I was on call again last night, and it was totally boffo." Only one of those statements is true.

Don't worry, I didn't fail a test - that statement was just hypothetical.

But I was on call last night, and well, it was kinda boffo. Not I've-found-my-purpose-in-life-and-only-want-to-see-tiny-sick-babies-for-the-rest-of-my-life boffo. More like I-actually-had-half-or-even-three-quarters-of-a-clue-of-what-was-going-on boffo.

I have this tendency... If someone has a strong personality trait, I find myself doing the polar opposite. I'm around a talkative person, and I get quiet - I'm around a quiet person and I can't quit gabbing. My own little way of balancing out the universe, I guess.

Last week, the fellow on call with me was laid back, chill - cooooool, even. We're talking Fonzi cool. Unflappable. Which I didn't need to react oppositely to (is oppositely a word?) as I was already in semi-panic mode all day.

But last night was another story altogether. The fellow on was... well. Flappable. She wore a long yellow gown over her scrubs and just kind of flew around everywhere talking to herself. It was quite amazing. Very smart person, but very... hectic. And any time she'd talk to me, I think she started whatever she was going to say in her head (despite the consistent talking to herself out loud), thus only delivering 2/3 of the message to me. Her: "...so give 2 cc IV push now." Me: "Okay, but. Um. Of what? On who?"

Anyway, combining her strong personality trait, which we'll call "Flustered-ness" and my tendency to go anti-other-person's-trait, I was remarkably calm, cool and collected last night. Anti-flustered, if you will. Which is, overall, a much better way to manage a call night.

Boffo, man.

No comments: