Mar 17, 2006

Happy St. Patricks Day!

When did this holiday become a valid excuse to get really drunk? It isn't quite as big here in this town, but I've seen timers in other bars that are counting down to St. Patty's Day all year long! I dont' get it...

What I really want to talk about is Match Day, though! Yesterday, I was too pumped up to do more than a quick note. But the whole day was somewhat surreal, and I'm sure everyone in the world is dying to know about it!

Match Day is a day that I personally have been anticipating and dreading for about as long as I knew it existed. That anxiety level kept going up and up and up - especially these past few days. I was very happy to learn on Monday that I had matched. Since I was happy with my rank list, I was able to just be excited about the actual Match. Still terrified, but more excited-terrified than please-just-kill-me-now terrified.

Thankfully, we celebrated Ari's birthday on Wednesday night with much laughter and Chinese food (and sushi), which effectively distracted me from pacing around my living room. And yesterday morning, we met for a late breakfast, also to distract us. And to make us feel like we were characters from Sex and the City. Minus the sex part. And the city part. But totally the 'and the' part.

We assembled in the building by our mailboxes starting around 11:30. Almost the whole class was there - something that hasn't happened for many moons. There were also spouses and parents and millions and millions of babies. Our class started spawning sometime in the last two years - it is absolutely amazing!

There was a lot of nervous laughter and hugs and picture taking as we stood around waiting... Then, at 12:00, we all filed in to where our mailboxes are to get the Envelope (like the Oscars!).

Now, our mailboxes are all in one little area, back in this little 15' by 15' area that has a giant table in the middle of it. It was kind of a single-file shuffle to get to the boxes. This process was not helped by the one person who brought their spouse and daughter back to the area, then opened their letter while standing in front of half the boxes! And then the daughter reached into someone else's box - they weren't latched - and pulled out someone else's letter!! It wasn't mine, so I thought it was funny.

Susan and I got our letters, and then walked out to a more open area. So we could be photographed, of course. :) They sealed those letters SO tight. It was really hard to open - not helped by the fact that I started to cry. Haha! Nervous/excited/terrified tears which turned into tears of frustration as I tried to get my finger under the envelope flap.

Finally (it really only took two seconds, but felt like forever) I got the envelope open - and started cheering. I think I was actually cheering/jumping/flailing before I completely processed what the letter said. You know how when you touch something hot, and your hand automatically pulls back before you actually feel your hand burning? Yeah, I think it was like that.

Susan was cheering/jumping/flailing/tearing up right next to me, so I took that to be a good sign, too, which it was. She'll be going to Birmingham, Alabama for pediatrics.

We spent the next half hour frantically trying to find out where everyone else was going. Most of our class seems to be happy - with a few exceptions, of course. But, at least everyone was pretending to be satisfied.

I finally remembered that I should call my mother (sorry, Mom!) to tell her the news. She was, as expected, very happy for me. The funniest part about calling people was that EVERYone was calling people. There were thirty people pacing around outside the hospital with their cell phones to their ears. Very interesting sight!

The rest of the day was spent partying and just celebrating our general awesome-ness. We did have a lunch thing-y where we got up as our names were randomly called, put a dollar in a bucket, and announced to the class where we matched. The last person called got the bucket. Needless to say, I was one of the first thirty called. This tradition is how many schools actually get their match envelope! How nerve-inducting would that be! Getting the letter in front of everyone...

So! That was Match Day. And now, I have just three weeks of clinical work left, and four or so weeks back in the classroom, and then.... holy cow... I'll be a doctor. [Cue the please-kill-me-now terrified laughter.]

No comments: