May 3, 2006

OBX

I didn't learn until last week that the "OBX" stickers that are ubiquitous on SUV's in North Carolina do not, in fact, refer to some obscure sport about which I know nothing, and would surely be horrible at. No! "OBX," as anyone fluent with Google (and who isn't!?) could tell you stands for the "Outer Banks." Outer Banks! Du-uh! OBX... Outer Banx.

For those not from North Carolina, I liken the Outer Banks to a cross between the Boundary Waters of Minnesota and a summer beach hang-out. For those not familiar with Minnesota, the Boundary Waters (and thus the Outer Banks) is a wild-ish area where people like to go kayaking and fishing. The Outer Banks are actually in the Atlantic Ocean, though. Look at a map - it looks fake.

Enough for the geography lesson.

After living in NC for four years, I decided that I needed to make at least one trip to the Outer Banks - and a second trip to the Atlantic Ocean (I've only been once before to NC's beaches!) So, I subtly enlisted Susan to join me (she'd been making other weekend plans - ha!) on a spur-of-the-moment trip. Spur-of-the-moment in Brenna terms, that is - with only four days planning.

Guess what? Now it is history lesson time!!

Have you heard of the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island? In the colony of Virginia? You know, people came over on a ship, set up a settlement, and then by the time the next ship came (three years later!), the people had totally disappeared. I always assumed that Roanoke Island was in Virginia. Nope! It's totally in North Carolina. In the Outer Banks, in fact. Susan and I stayed on Roanoke Island (the island wasn't lost, just the people).

We didn't find any of the lost people.

I think they're probably dead now...

Done with the history lesson! How about some art appreciation? Well. Maybe not 'art' per se. But Brenna's Photos Appreciation just really doesn't seem like a legitimate class title...


This is Susan in the Lost Colony. Maybe. It was a fort at some point. But I'm not sure if it was the Lost Colony, or Fort Raleigh. Either way, now it is just a pile of dirt.

Alrighty. I was going to post more pictures, but Blogger isn't letting me. That's okay - I don't have any pictures of me yet anyway - Susan has all of those! :)

Maybe I'll post more pictures later. Maybe not. It's a crap shoot.

Oh yeah, by the way T minus 12 days until I'm officially a doctor.

No comments: