Dec 9, 2004

I Can't Really Define Irony

But I know it when I see it.

Presentation this morning:
1. Don't go over time limit - check
2. Don't trip and fall flat on face - check

Sounds like a good presentation in my book! Yippee! Now it is almost weekend...

But, first: an adventure (of sorts).

Refer back to the Flashing Lights incident, and you will realize that I need to register my car. To do that, I need to get someone to verify my Vehicle Identification Number here in North Carolina to prove that my car is NOT in Oregon.

First stop: DMV. They seem knowledgable about... cars and stuff. Plus, I knew where it was, based on one prior foray into the bowels of licensing. I didn't actually go into the bowels, but I did fail the written driver's test, so I felt like... It was after that, though, that I realized that I don't have to sacrifice my cherished OR license (I love it mostly because I have the # memorized. If I got a NC one, I'd have to memorize an entirely new number. Plus I look really funny in the picture) leading to the whole 'verify the VIN' situation I am in currently.

So, DMV lady (very nice, but really weird tie on) said they didn't do it, so sent me to the State Troopers' office in the same building. Who knew that was there? Not I.

Second stop: State Troopers' office in the DMV building. State Trooper lady (also nice, but mumbly) told me I needed to go to the DMV Enforcement Office. Actually what she said was, "Mmph-mmmm-DMV-emmmeomm-ofemm" She gave me directions that were relatively simple, but completely un-understabdable. I pulled out a piece of paper and played stupid to make her tell me the directions slow while I wrote them down. That worked like a charm!

Third stop: Take 52-North to the Patterson Exit, Turn Left and the DMV Enforcement Office will be on your left. But beware! You may get there and, like me, discover that all of the officers who verify VINs are 'on special assignment' until eight tomorrow morning. Grrr. Then, if you, like me, are wearing your badge proclaiming to the world that you are a med student, the clerk at the DMV Enforcement Office may try to get some free medical advice. Oh, yeah, and you may be, like me, completely dripping wet cause it was pouring during the whole experience.

So, no VIN verification for me today. Great. And tomorrow I can't go, cause I'm going to LAS VEGAS. Yeah, baby.

But, not getting VIN verification did leave me time to go home and watch Reality Bites.
I had not seen that since it came out in 1994 when I was 16. I didn't particularly care for it then, but now? Now I really like it. The acting is not always stellar, but the pop culture references are fantastic. Go Lisa Loeb! I recommend it for good rainy afternoon watching. I may even have to add it to my collection...

There is a lady here at the office wearing a purple sequined dress today. I think that means it is time for me to go home.

No comments: