Mar 15, 2012

Day 13: Baby Manicure

One worry I always harbored prior to having a baby was how to take care of their tiny little fingernails. I have always been intimidated by animal nails, too - my poor cat has never had her nails trimmed by me... probably why she scratches the carpet...

I'm just so nervous that I will cut too far and hurt the cat with the clippers (and, let's be honest, I'm scared she'll claw me to death with those nails I'm trying to trim!)

Well, Marian was born with a few talons of her own. And, as babies are wont to do, she kept scratching her face with them. I chose to ignore it at first - the scratches healed so quickly, I felt like it wasn't too bad. I tried the baby nail clipper once, but I pinched her, so I stopped. Besides, her nails are tiny and flimsy, and I figured it couldn't hurt her too badly.

Then she started scratching me while she was eating. And, man those tiny little nails hurt! Ouch! (Enter guilty mom feelings)

I thought about encouraging her to scratch the carpet, but her comprehension skills are not that sophisticated yet. So, I filed her nails! So much better than the nail clipper.

I wonder if the cat would sit still for the nail file...


No comments: