Jul 23, 2006

How Many Pediatricians Does It Take To Change A Tire?

Four.

Man, I knew it had been a while since I posted, but I didn't realize quite how long!

Anyway - Friday was my last day on the wards! Which means that this weekend has been a real live "Golden Weekend." A rare delicacy in the medical world, a "Golden Weekend" consists of two whole days off in a row. Normal people call it a "Weekend." But, actually, since I have two weeks of Behavior and Development, followed by two weeks of vacation, I actually have five Goldens in a row!!!

In total, I worked 4 weeks on the ward - 24 days on - about 280 hours total.

How does one celebrate the end of a rotation? By going to an eighties cover band, of course! I went out on Friday night with some fellow residents - a few interns, some third years, a chief and a recent graduate, to be exact. I don't know where the second years were... Anyway, it was really HOT, but much fun. I actually even managed to stay up many hours past my bedtime.

We'd gathered at one intern's house, since she lived walking distance from the club. When we left the club - at around one am, mind you - it was still mid-80s outside. Ridiculous! SO FREAKING HOT. When we got back to our cars, it turned out another intern had sustained a flat tire. Thus the four pediatricians changing a tire. At 1 am. In 80+ degree weather.

So, after a month of residency, do I really condsider myself a doctor? I've met many patients - I've even had two afternoons of clinic where I'm the patients' doctor. As in, "Who is your doctor, random person?" Random person replies, "My doctor is Brenna."

Ah, yes. The name thing. I have yet to actually introduce myself as Dr. Last Name. I will say, "Hi, I'm Brenna Last Name, one of the residents here. I'll be taking care of you when you're in the hospital." Notice that the word 'doctor' never escapes my lips.

And when the nurses call me doctor? Well, first, I don't hear them. They'll call me several times before it enters my skull that they're talking to me (usually to remind me to sign an order!). Then I aske them to call me Brenna. Because, really? That's my name. Though I guess I do need to get in the habit of telling my patients that I am, in fact, a doctor. To instill some sort of confidence or something.

But when I'm out in public? I have a new answer to 'What do you do?' The new answer? I work with children.

No comments: