Aug 31, 2004

I'm a Doctor, Mr. Spock, not a Surgeon!!

True or False? Surgery = Medicine.

Answer: False.

Don't forget that.


I got to scrub in and actually DO stuff today! Now, today, it was exciting, but I think it may get old after... oh... tomorrow. First: I pulled a femoral line and held pressure. For 20 minutes. That's twenty minutes of me standing in the OR with my hand dangerously close to some guy's crotch. Isn't 'crotch' a disgusting word??? Second: I held army/navy retractors. At least, I think the doctor called them army/navies. And I was using them to retract. Remember the little hole I referred to yesterday? Today, I got to hold the hole open. It was a much better view!

After that, I admitted a patient who is going to have surgery tomorrow. I must admit (oh so humbly) that I've gotten a heck of a lot better doing patient interviews and physical exams and writing up H&P's (history and physical). I hadn't really realized that I'd improved, but after two weeks away, everything feels newish again, but much, much easier.

We get to start planning our fourth year soon. Supposedly fourth year is relatively easy. We do a month in the ER, a month in the medical ICU, two months as acting interns (playing doctor even harder) and then kind of whatever we want to for the rest. What do I want to do? I want to do a rotation at home in Portland, AND (this is the exciting part) I want to take a month off to study for the boards - in Alaska! My friend at Yale is thinking of doing the same thing. Much fun would be had.

Plus, I'd get to meet my ex-boyfriends new wife.

Study, study, study.

No comments: