Feb 14, 2017

A Day in the Life

Have I ever done a "Day in the Life" post? I don't think so. Maybe? I know I've thought about it before, but can't remember if I have ever done it before.

And I'm too lazy to go back and look.

So.

A Day in the Life.

But, wait. Should I do a Day in the Life (henceforth known as DIL (I'm excluding the "T" for aesthetic reasons)) for my life as a Pediatric Hospitalist, or DIL for my life as a Mom of Three. Mom of Three must be capitalized if Pediatric Hospitalist is.

Seeing as today, my actual DIL was as the former*, I shall proceed with that.

*Interesting** aside. I love LM Montgomery books. Anne and Emily were my literary soul sisters growing up. Well, LM is fond of using "former" and "latter" in her writing. I am ashamed to admit how long it took me to actually figure out what those words meant. I was like 14 years old before I finally had to stop and use my Context Clues (also capitalized) to determine which was which.

And, as I come to the end of writing that paragraph, I am struck with the sudden realization that it was a lie. It was actually the word "fortnight" that Lucy Maud used a lot, and I didn't know what it meant until I was 14. I did, in fact, use my Context Clues to figure it out. Two weeks. I don't remember when I learned former vs. latter.

**And by "Interesting," I mean "Really, just a rambling paragraph about nothing."***

***And, as it turns out, a total lie.

All aboard, welcome back to my train of thought.

So. My DIL as a Pediatric Hospitalist. DILPH. Say it out loud. You know you wanna.

6:00: Alarm goes off

6:15-ish: I actually get up. Sorry, Marc, it is hard to break the Snooze addiction.

6:15-7: I attempt to get ready as quietly as possible so as not to mix up my DILPH with my DILMOT (got me?) by waking up the nearly-5 year old lightly sleeping in the other room.

7:00: Get accosted by said nearly-5 year old who wants me to 1)let her sleep; 2)carry her downstairs; 3)eat breakfast with her; 4)not go to work; and 5)talk WAY more than I want to in the morning. All at the same time.

7:15 - 7:45: Drive to work. The quietest part of my life. Some people hate commuting. I welcome the adult time that I have ALL TO MYSELF. I either listen to NPR, Hamilton, pop music or Pediatric lectures on tape, depending on how responsible I'm feeling.

8:00-8:30: Sign out. This is when the outgoing Pediatric Hospitalist tells me about the patients that I'm taking over for. Also a great time to confer with a colleague about how to best care for our patients. And to vent.

And, in continuing with my rambling post, I will now refer you back to the post I wrote nearly two years ago, wherein I outlined what I do during my day working at the hospital. One might be inclined to call it a DIL post. If one wanted. The only real difference from two years ago is that I no longer intubate babies that poop before they were born. We no longer punish them for that. Science.

Now I don't know what to write about.

I suppose I should get back to writing the ER consult note, discharge summary, transfer summary and 2 daily notes I have left to write. Or to go see the two newborns that need to be admitted. Hmm. Perhaps this blog post was all about procrastination? And you fell for it! Mwa hahaha!

Next, I will write my DILMOT post. Perhaps in a fortnight or so.

See you in two weeks.

CONTEXT CLUES.

No comments: