Mar 11, 2010

A Scrub a Day Keeps the Doctor(ing) Away

While this is a very important part of my job (as well as every day life):


There is an unfortunate consequence:



Dirty, dull, dingy ring!

This didn't matter much when I wore inexpensive jewelry to work, but now that I have a ring that isn't only a ring, it is a symbol of something bigger... well, I want it to be shiny! After a month or so of being engaged, I started to realize that my ring was... shiny, but... not as shiny. Oh no! What to do?! I was worried that the alcohol gel I used regularly at work was eating away at the diamond! Gasp!!

Then I remembered that diamonds are the hardest substance on earth. So, while alcohol gel may bring tears to my eyes if I have a papercut, it is likely not harming my diamond. But still... not shiny... what to do?

You know how as you grow older, you realize how much smarter your mom is getting? Expressed perfectly in this Story People print:


Well, anyway. It turns out that my mom has set a wonderful example for me every day: she flosses nightly. And, maybe less important for my health, but more relevant to the topic at hand: she cleans her rings regularly. And when I asked her how often (again worried over-cleaning could hurt the diamond), her answer: "every day!" Every day!

Since then, I've been cleaning my ring after every shift at work. I'm not quite industrious enough to do it every day quite yet. (And sadly, I'm cleaning the ring more frequently than I floss...)

Here is a demonstration, with illustrations:

Before:



Cleaning!:



After (excuse the fuzz stuck in the prong on the left side pic!):



Can you tell the difference? Maybe? Well, I can anyway. And it makes me smile to have a clean ring. Thanks Mom!

And, for fun, more ring shots!!!

Ring with nature:


Ring with coral:


A rock among rocks:




From far away:


A closer look:


And, finally, masquerading as a head lamp on a tired person:


Taking pictures of the ring is fun! Especially when it is shiny!!

I'm going to go floss now...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Pretty, pretty ring. And very much you. Good job, Marc :).