Mar 13, 2007

Human vs. Doctor and Being Up in the Middle of the Night

I was just called urgently to the bedside of a patient. So I went. Urgently. And then? When I got there? The nurse that had called me? Wouldn't tell me anything. I don't know what she was expecting that I would do with... no information. So, I think I kind of got a bit short with her. I basically demanded to know what was going on. Because... I kinda sorta needed a medical-ish opinion or at least description of what I was looking for. To, you know, actually evaluate the patient. And I ended up having to get all the info from the mom. Even though the patient is in a constantly monitored environment with a nurse not ten feet away who should be looking at things. Like the monitor. And the patient. Anyway, I was annoyed.

I think I scared the nurse.

And... the part of me that's human (and I am pronouncing this in my head in the North-easternly way, you know - 'yoo-man.' Just in case you were wondering) felt really bad about it.

But the part of me that is a resident doctor up in the middle of the night dealing with all sorts of bizarre goings-on? Feels like she should just deal.

Hmm. I had assumed that by doing pediatrics, I would avoid some of the cynicism and arrogance that seem to get added on to our collective personalities as the MD degrees go on our walls.

Perhaps not.

Or perhaps I can attribute it all to the un-naturalness of being up and functional at 3 in the morning.

No comments: