Apr 7, 2007

Sevilla

Being in Spain is exhausting! I think it is all the walking combined with just trying to pay attention to everything that I´m seeing.

I finally made it to Sevilla yesterday - the main point of the trip. My sister has been studying here for the last few months. I took the train down from Madrid last night. I was so proud of myself - managing the whole train station and everything all by myself. Again, I realize that this is something young kids, straight out of high school do on a regular basis. But still. I´m proud :) And exhausted.

There is SO much that I have done that it it quite absolutely impossible to go into all of it. Hmmmm. Highlights from yesterday:

- Left hostel, to train station, wanting to go to Toledo, then to Sevilla. Well, Toledo was sold out! So, I spent the day in Madrid again, after depositing my luggage at the station.
- Did a self-guided walking tour of Madrid from my (fantastic) Rick Steve´s guide book.
- During my walking tour, purchased cookies (dulces) from a cloistered nun. I pushed a random, barely marked intercom button on a wall, said "dulces," walked through a door, down a dark hallway to a lazy-Susan with partitions on it. Talked to a nun through the wall, put money on the lazy Susan, and she turned it, and there were cookies for me! It was SO cool
- Visited the Royal Palace, where I encountered a few of the "ugly Americans" you hear about
- Took the train to Sevilla
- Found my sister!
- Saw the tail end of another procession here - very similar, but with a different statue on the float
- Ate my first churros with chocolate. Mmmm. Good

Today, I´ve been exploring Sevilla with Lindsay. It is a beautiful city. I´m just too tired to do much more. And it is only 6pm. The night is literally quite early here. I may crash before this is all over!

No comments: