Jan 25, 2006

What Price, Beauty?

I've never been much of a 'girly-girl.' Granted, I'm no Tomboy, either. I tend to float somewhere between the two (and no, I don't mean 'girly-boy'). I like to look nice, but I also really appreciate a good mud puddle - squishing it in between your toes! - and just grunging it up every once in a while.

I also kind of grew up in an era where smelly soaps and lotions weren't smelling up shopping malls everywhere (heck, there weren't even Starbucks around until I was in high school). Smelly soaps and lotions were a luxury that I didn't start paying attention to (still don't, really) until college or so. I didn't grow up with a Fluffy Beauty Routine (FBR), and it isn't something that came terribly naturally to me.

Which may explain why I had never had a pedicure until a year or two ago.

And, I must say... I'm totally a convert. I do enjoy a good pedicure. Manicures, too. But pedicures are so much better. My toes look so indescribably cute after an hour in the pedicurists hands.

You may have guessed by this point that I had a pedicure today. :) My reward to myself for three weeks of hot-footing it around the dusty African roads.

Today, however, I added a new aspect to my FBR. I had my eyebrows waxed. It is something I've been meaning to do for a while, but hadn't gotten around to doing. I decided that it would be a good Home From Africa treat as well. I decided that when I got home, looked in the mirror, and saw that my eyebrows had gone all Africa on me. That is, wild.

For those whose FBR does not include Eyebrow Wax, it wasn't that bad. Not at all like Leg Wax, which is a modern day form of torture, and shouldn't have any place in any FBR. My eyebrows are now all tamed and sleek looking.

I'm all red and puffy around them, though. But that's okay. They match my toenails.

No comments: