Dec 13, 2004

High in the Sky

I actually wrote this on the plane last Friday. I didn't get any internet in Las Vegas...

Oh, my, my, my. This was the CLOSEST I’ve ever been to missing/catching a plane. But here I am, mid-air on the way to Vegas.

Here’s what happened:

My first flight was to leave Greensboro at seven twenty five (I’m not using actual numbers because I’m basically typing in the dark, and I don’t want to fumble around with those keys. But look at me go! Typing in the dark!!! Using exclamation points, even!)

Okay, as I said: original flight to leave seven twenty five. When I checked in, it had already been pushed back twenty or so minutes. By the by, I arrived extremely early. Not that that really matters, I just felt like mentioning it. And the phrase ‘by the by’ is not used nearly enough, in my opinion.

While I was waiting for the seven forty nine (seriously, that’s what time it said when I checked in) flight, there was the BRIGHTEST flash of lightning I have ever seen and the LOUDEST thunder I have ever heard. In my ENTIRE life. Susan said it was like an earthquake. Oh, yeah. Susan was also at the airport, flying off to Nashville. But she was driving when the world’s biggest lightning bolt hit.

Yeah, yeah. I bore myself even, but really, the story gets more exciting. Slightly more, anyway.

Waiting and waiting… I am very good at doing that in airports, and I definitely got practice tonight. Finally, around eight thirty, our flight took off to Dulles in DC. My flight out of DC was scheduled at nine forty five. We landed in Dulles at nine forty. I got into the terminal at around nine forty five, and MY FLIGHT WAS NOT LISTED on the “departures” board. I wandered around in circles (literally – I was only covering about a ten yard space, just over and over) Then I went up to ask a flight person where the flight was, and he said “follow me!” and went running to a gate that was closed. He used his little badgy thing to beep in and ran down the breezeway yelling “Holly!” And they hadn’t closed the plane door yet! Huzzah! They closed the door immediately after I got on. It was amazing.

AND I’m in row eight, and I am by myself, and I think I’m in the “economy plus” section or something, cause there is TONS of space. Ahhh…. I am so filled with coolness and pleasurosity. Except that they’re playing The Notebook.

Movies I will NEVER watch:
1. Bridges of Madison County
2. Varsity Blues
3. The Notebook

Luckily, I brought my computer (duh), AND a Katharine Hepburn movie that I haven’t seen. FAN-tastic.

Vegas, here I come…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, my thoughts exactly, hope you're having a wonderful christmas. . . I miss your thoughts. . .(susan narrowly escaped this message, but i figure with over one week and a post already 3 days before. . .) And, i've never been to Vegas, I'm curious!

Ari